Thursday 2 April 2015

Writers on Reading: Freya North




http://freyanorth.com

British writer Freya North has written 13 best selling novels, and though they may fall into the category of Chick-lit now, Freya was writing her raunchy, amusing and heartfelt novels before that particular term was even coined. 

Freya's first novels feature incredibly well drawn out eponymous female leads, Sally, Chloe, Polly, and Cat. The reader follows their adventures as they find their way through their own (often very unusual) problems, with a unique connection being the cameos in each book of some of the characters that preceded it, allowing dedicated readers to see their happily ever after in action one more time.

In 2008, Freya won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award for her ninth novel, Pillow Talk, and her next novel 'Turning Point will be released in June this year. Freya's most recent novel 'The Way Back home' is available now. 




What is the first book you remember reading?
The Elephant and The Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont illustrated by Raymond Briggs


What effect does being an author have on you as a reader?
I read far less than I'd like to - because when I'm writing a novel, I only read around the subjects I'm writing about.  I therefore have to condense all my pleasure-reading during the family summer holiday.  Most people have a to-do list they groan at, however I have a groaning to-read shelf.


Are there any books you can read again and again?
Thomas Hardy and John Irving - both of whom are superb story tellers and masters at create a sense of place.


Are there any genres that you wouldn’t choose to read?
Sci-fi and crime - the first leaves me cold, the second leaves me in a cold sweat.


What is the current book on your nightstand/coffee table?
The winner of the Costa - Nathan Filer "The Shock of the Fall"



No comments:

Post a Comment