Thursday 5 March 2015

Writers on Reading: Susan Lewis


An author with Welsh roots from her miner father, Susan Lewis is our next volunteer for Writers on Reading. With over 30 books in print Susan is a prolific author who has been writing since 'A Class Apart' her debut novel in 1988, her life story of love, loss, success and somewhat troublesome behaviour (Susan deliberately got herself expelled from boarding school so she could live with her father) has obviously given her plenty of life experience to add to her novels, which regularly find themselves on best sellers list both sides of the Atlantic. 

What is the first book you remember reading?


This would definitely be Alice in Wonderland (with a lot of help from my dad).  I loved it so much I used to be able to recite the first chapter!  


What effect does being an author have on you as a reader? 
A huge effect.  I am always careful about what I choose to read as I am all too easily influenced by the nuance or style of another author.  Therefore, my selections tend to be from a more literary genre as they help me to up my game!!


Are there any books you can read again and again?
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky is definitely that book for me.  It’s the only time in my life that I’ve reached the final page of a book and turned straight back to the beginning to read it all again.   




Are there any genres that you wouldn’t choose to read? 
Horror and Sci-fi hold little interest for me.  


What is the current book on your nightstand/coffee table?

It’s on my Kindle and it’s The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  

Susan's latest book 'Too Close to Home' has just been released in the UK.


No comments:

Post a Comment