Wednesday 8 April 2015

Writers on Reading: Ann Cleeves





Few authors are lucky enough to have one of their creations adapted for television or the silver screen, but Ann Cleeves has had not one, but two, of her series taken up and shown across the world. The second series of the DC Vera Stanhope series ‘Vera’ on ITV returned to our screens earlier this month, and a third BBC series of her ‘Shetland’ mystery novels is due to start filming this summer.   

Born not too far from here in Hereford, Ann grew up with the countryside around her wherever she moved, but it wasn’t until she  moved to the isolated reserve of Hilbre in the Dee Estuary that she had the time and space to start her writing career, a career that has spanned almost three decades and numerous awards, including being admitted to the Crime Thriller Hall of Fame.

What is the first book you remember reading?

I was an EnidBlyton child – that was probably what turned me into a crime writer.  I loved all the mystery stories and remember going to the library and being so excited to find one I hadn’t read before.


What effect does being an author have on you as a reader?
I don’t read, thinking about the craft of the writer.  My reading passion is crime in translation and sometimes the translator gets in the way a bit.  But mostly I still love getting lost in a book.


Are there any books you can read again and again?
My lifetime book is The Lost Domain by Alain-Fournier.  I read it as a teenager and it had a profound effect.  But I go back to the crime fiction of the Golden Age.  It’s my comfort reading when I’m ill or miserable.


Are there any genres that you wouldn’t choose to read?
Not really.  I’m a bit lazy about moving away from my criminal comfort zone, but I’ll give anything a try.  That’s the good thing about being a member of a reading group


What is the current book on your nightstand/coffee table?

The proof of a Korean novel called The Investigation by Jung-Myung Lee. Spookily it’s about the power of words and how poetry is a civilising influence. It should be required for anyone who wants to close libraries.

The 6th book in the Shetland series 'Thin Air' is due for release next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment