Tuesday 3 November 2015

Writers on Reading: Laura Lippman



http://lauralippman.net/

Laura Lippman is a bestselling American author of detective fiction, with her determined private eye Tess Monaghan her most well known creation. Originally a reporter, when Laura turned her hand to fiction writing she made quite an impression, having received far too many awards to list and has become a well known author the world over.

What's the first book I remember reading? 
My sister found an old reading primer, the "Dick and Jane" books, but I started with Dick and Jane's younger sister, Sally. To this day, I can see her in my mind's eye, saying "Oh! Oh! Oh!" Those were the first words I ever read on my own.

What effect does being an author have on you as a reader? 
It makes me super aware of whether a book is working. If it's good, I lose myself. But if anything is off, it's like listening to off-key singing.

Are there any books you can read again? 
So many! I believe in re-reading as a vital activity, quite different from reading. It's what I do instead of taking tranquilizers. It soothes and comforts me to return to favorite books, whether it's Lolita or Betsy-Tacy Go Over the Big Hill.

Are there any genres you wouldn't choose to read? 
No. I have some genres I read more intensely, but I think it's silly to rule out books according to genre. It's like saying you won't talk to people who wear yellow shirts. Good books are good books and all genres have good books.

What is the current book on your nightstand? 
I'm not allowed to tell you! I'm reading for the National Book Award in the United States, so I have to be taciturn about my reading list right now.

Laura's most recent book Hush Hush was released earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment