Friday 2 October 2015

Writers on Reading: Jasper Fforde



http://www.jasperfforde.com/

Jasper Fforde is one of the UK's quirkiest writers, from the surreal world of Thursday Next (A Literary Detective in a world where characters have a habit of not staying where they are put) to the sharp political satire of the dystopian 'Shades of Grey' Jasper's unique style, playfulness and boundless imagination have won him legions of fans on both sides of the Atlantic, and we were very pleased indeed that he took the time to answer our questions:

What is the first book you remember reading?
Something from Ladybird Books Key Words Reading scheme. Peter and Jane and Pat the Dog (A Pun I didn't get for many years). The jewel in the crown of these were 10a and 10b: 'Adventure on the Island' and 'Adventure in the Castle'. The iconic illustrations by Harry Wingfield still stir, even now, and I was disappointed to miss an auction of his works a few years back.


What effect does being an author have on you as a reader?
A double-edged sword, really. Since I am familiar with the nefarious tricks we writers use in order to lead a reader through a story, I can see more easily those tricks played back on me when I read. But the upside is this: When I CAN'T see the tricks, the ploys, the narrative devices and I am beautifully wrong footed, the book I'm reading somehow shines with greater lustre..


Are there any books you can read again and again?
I'm very partial to 'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K Jerome, which always makes me laugh, especially the incident with the cheese.  I return to 'West With The Night' by Beryl Markham twice-decadely, and always have a spare paperback to give away. Similarly, I never go on a long road trip without Bill Bryson's:  'AShort History of Nearly Everything'.


Are there any genres that you wouldn’t choose to read?
Not really - if the writing is good, I'm up for it. Mind you, the more recent crime thrillers I have a hard time with - the violence has become so extreme, and one has to ask oneself: Are murders and worse committed against children and women really appropriate subjects for entertainment?


What is the current book on your nightstand/coffee table?

I confess I am an aviation nut, and my most recent discovery is a battered copy of Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot Adolf Galland's 1953 autobiography, 'The First and the Last'. The book traces his exploits assisting General Franco with the 'Condor Legion' in 1938 to flying the first operational jet fighter in 1945. Not a rollicking read, but the opposing view in any conflict is always of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment