Friday 5 June 2015

Writers on Reading: Janet Evanovich

http://www.evanovich.com/ 

When Janet Evanovich stopped writing romance novels 20 years ago and created Stephanie Plum, I wonder if she knew how popular the fashion buyer turned bail bonds officer would be? In fact Stephanie  has become one of the most recognisable characters in mystery writing, and has survived 21 (soon to be 22) adventures chasing bounties, love and trying to stay alive at the same time. The Stephanie Plum series is not the only string to Janet's bow however, as she has several other series on the go, including Lizzie and Diesel, and Fox and O'Hare.

What is the first book you remember reading?
"Make Way for Ducklings" by author and illustrator Robert McCloskey.  It's an award winning classic that has remained a favorite in the U.S. for the last 73 years.

What effect does being an author have on you as a reader?
An unfortunate effect is that with publishing two-plus books a year, I don't have much time to read anything other than my own manuscripts.

Are there any books you can read again and again?
I love the late Barbara Park's Junie B. Jones series for young readers.  It's about a precocious kindergartner.  The books are both insightful and hilarious and the author's spare style is delightful.  I also love anything by Robert B. Parker or Robert Crais.

Are there any genres that you wouldn't choose to read?
I'm not a huge fan of horror stories.  They scare me and I'm too squeamish.

What is the current book on your nightstand/coffee table?
I love globe trotting chef Anthony Bourdain.  "Medium Raw" was such a good read, I picked up one of his earlier books, "No Reservations," which I can't wait to start.

Janet's new book in the Lizzie and Diesel series 'Wicked Charms' is out this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment